Alcotex 72.5 has been supplied to leading polyvinyl chloride (PVC) manufacturers the world over for many years, giving benefits over alternative products including cellulose ethers and other types of polyvinyl alcohols. Experience of working closely with PVC manufacturers has contributed to the development of this unique product.
In listing the advantages of using Alcotex 72.5, it must be noted that differences in the PVC grade, polymerisation recipe and plant design influence the extent to which any of these benefits are obtained.
The use of Alcotex suspending agents requires no significant plant modification.
The principal advantages of using Alcotex 72.5 can be summarised as follows
A) PVC Plant Output and Operating Cost
1. The polymer build-up in the reactor is low, reducing down-time for cleaning.
2. The desired grain size can be achieved using low levels of Alcotex 72.5.
3. PVC grains of good porosity are produced, which facilitates free monomer removal.
4. Alcotex 72.5 is not prone to dusting.
5. Colour and heat stability are improved and haze levels are very low
B) PVC Polymer Quality
1. Alcotex 72.5 is used to make PVC with a wide range of porosities and bulk densities.
2. The PVC grains made with Alcotex 72.5 tend to be more spherical such that high porosity may be combined with minimum reduction in bulk density and with optimum flow characteristics.
3. The PVC grain size distribution is narrow, and the levels of over-sized rejects are low.
4. Plasticiser absorption properties can be adjusted to give fast dry-up times. 5. The “fish-eye” count is low, reducing the reject level in critical applications.
Alcotex 72.5 should be stored away from wet areas and naked flames.Ingress of moisture should be avoided to maintain product quality.
As supplied, the product should remain fit for use for 24 months from the date of production. Beyond that date, the material may still be fit for use, but we would advise that it is good practice to test the material. As such, we advise that material stored for 12 months or more after delivery should be tested before use.
Aqueous solutions of Alcotex 72.5, if stored for long periods at elevated temperatures are prone to mould and bacterial attack.
Alcotex 72.5 is supplied in 25kg (nominal) plastic sacks. Each sack carries the grade number, batch number and net weight. Deliveries are palletised with each pallet being strecth wrapped and labelled with the relevant shipping marks.
Synthomer Limited Head Office
Phone: +44 (0)1279 436 211
FAX: +44 (0)1279 444 025
|Total Solid Content||>95.0||%|
|Degree of Hydrolysis||71.5 – 73.5||mole %|
|Viscosity 4% solution @ 20ºC||5.6 – 6.6||mPa.s|
|Ash Content||0.5 max||% as Na2O|
|Appearance||Off white to pale yellow granules|
© 2018 Synthomer plc